Due to the current circumstances our new website is a work in progress and updates will be gradually implemented over the coming weeks. Thank you.

Together we can achieve


SEN Information Report

What Is the Name of the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) in School?

The name of the SENCO at Ryhill is Mrs Laura Duffy. She can be contacted by making an appointment with the school office and is available before and after schools most days.

What Provision Is Made Available in Ryhill School?

All Wakefield Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The four broad ‘areas of need’ are Communication and Interaction, Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties, and Sensory and Physical Needs.

All children receive Class Teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Specific Group Work With in a Smaller Group of Children.

(This type of support is available for any child who has been identified as having specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.)

This activity, called Intervention groups in school, may be

  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a teacher or most often a Teaching assistant who has had training to run these groups.

Once your child has been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school:

  • He/ She will engage in either small group or 1:1 sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress.
  • A Teaching Assistant/Teacher or outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist) will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plan.

Specialist Groups Run by Outside Agencies e.g Speech and Language Therapy OR Occupational Therapy Groups

If your child does not make expected progress with interventions in place they will then be referred to receive extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the Communication and Interaction Team.
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
  • Support to set specific targets which will include their expertise knowledge
  • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group
  • A group or individual work with outside professional
  • The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Specified Individual Support

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/ SENCO as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching, which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services.
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carries out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school has sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), it will decide whether it think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case it will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and they will then write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The Statement or EHCP will outline the amount of money from the LA which will be provided to the school to be used to support your child. It will also recommend how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short-term goals for your child.
  • The additional funding will then be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

Ryhill Junior and Infant School Offers a Range of Provision and Support to Identified Children as and When Appropriate. These Include:

Provision to facilitate/support access to the curriculum/independent learning:

  • Small group support in class from teacher or TA.
  • Facilitating access to learning through the appropriate differentiation of tasks and activities.
  • Extensive use of visual support.
  • Provision of individual/visual timetables and checklists.
  • Provision of sand timers where appropriate.
  • Individual targets.
  • Scaffolding e.g. writing frames, story maps.
  • Additional resources if appropriate.

Access to a supportive environment – IT facilities/equipment/ resources (inc preparation):

  • Extensive and consistent use of visual support both in and out of the class to support understanding and facilitate access to the school environment and learning.
  • Use of interactive whiteboards.
  • Regular access to computers, laptops and iPads.
  • Provision of resources to enhance independent learning including high frequency word lists, easy grip writing tools and multi-sensory resources.
  • Supportive computer programmes.

Strategies to support/develop Numeracy:

  • Targeted small group support in class
  • Withdrawal of small groups or individual pupils for additional Numeracy support
  • Use of support resources and interventions.
  • Provision of table top resources to ensure that learning is multi-sensory and practical
  • Interventions such as Max’s Marvellous Maths or Rapid Maths.

Strategies to support/develop literacy including reading:

  • Small group reading support in class through guided reading and individual reading.
  • Reading support outside of class from TAs.
  • Additional small group literacy support from Teaching assistant.
  • Differentiated and multi-sensory activities.
  • Handwriting development programme implemented through school.
  • Interventions such as Reading Recovery or Catch Up.

Strategies to support behavioural issues:

  • Consistent school wide implementation of the school’s behaviour policy/ Golden rules.
  • SEN registration of those pupils whose behaviour difficulties are persistent and constitute a barrier to learning. Provision will include close collaboration with parents/carers, home/school book to ensure daily communication between home and school, daily behaviour oversight by school staff.
  • Wide range of pastoral support to support children’s behaviour in and beyond the classroom including access to our learning mentor, Mrs Hudson.
  • Where a pupil’s behaviour deteriorates because of inadequate response to the above provision a referral will be made to one or more of the following agencies: Behaviour support service, the Educational Psychologist, Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMHS), etc.

Strategies to enhance self-esteem/promote emotional wellbeing:

  • Weekly PSHCE assemblies
  • Circle Time
  • Regular liaison between staff including Children’s Centre when there are concerns regarding individual families/children.
  • Collaboration and communication with all external professionals involved with children as appropriate e.g. GPs, CAMHS and external agencies.
  • Educational psychologist works closely with referred children and their parents.
  • Open door policy for parents

Support/supervision at unstructured times of the day including personal care:

  • Trained midday meals supervisor in the lunch hall and playgrounds
  • Midday meals supervisors initiating and supporting activities during lunchtime
  • Play leaders (Year 6s) helping in playground

Strategies/programmes to support Physical needs:

  • Assessment by and intervention from an occupational therapist on referral.
  • Implementation of recommendations by occupational therapist or physiotherapist by an allocated member of staff.
  • Provision of support resources such as writing wedges and pencil grips

Access to medical interventions:

  • Regular meetings between SENCO, Learning Mentor and school nurse
  • Wide range of staff trained in First Aid
  • Staff training in the administration of support and/ or medication for Anaphylaxis and Epipen use
  • Liaison with medical professionals for children with ongoing treatment.
  • Photographs of child and detailing the child’s condition and required medication displayed in the staffroom, classrooms, first aid area, school office and school kitchen.
  • Individual protocols for children with significant medical needs

Strategies/programmes to support speech and language:

  • Assessment by and intervention from a speech and language therapist on referral.
  • Additional support and interventions within class if recommended
  • Implementation of Speech and Language programmes by TAs

Planning and assessment:

  • School provision maps
  • Individual targets
  • Differentiated learning activities
  • Multi-sensory opportunities
  • Incorporation into planning of any advice or guidance provided by external professionals supporting individual pupils.
  • Common Assessment Framework (CAF) referrals to external agencies/social care as required
  • Coordinated planning between class teacher and teaching assistant for pupils of SEND
  • Regular assessment of progress and achievement against national expectations and individual targets.

Engagement with parents/carers – Liaison/communication with parents:

  • Opportunities to meet the teacher at the start of the academic year at the welcome meeting and parent evenings in October and February.
  • Open door policy for parents to meet class teacher or senior management
  • Regular progress meetings with parents/carers by class teacher and SENCO
  • Support for parents who have concerns
  • Home school book where appropriate

Arrangement for specialist expertise in and outside school:

  • Early identification of needs requiring referral to external professionals
  • Regular communication and information sharing with an extensive range of external agencies
  • Sharing of professional reports with parents

Monitoring and evaluating the impact of the ‘additional and different’ arrangements – on progress and outcomes for pupils with SEN:

  • Regular pupil progress meetings
  • Monitoring of individual targets
  • Teacher and TA observations
  • Analysing data through in-school tracking system
  • Regular meeting with parents/carers to review child’s progress

What Are Our School’s Policies for the Identification and Assessment of Pupils with Special Educational Needs?

At Ryhill we feel early identification of children who require additional support is very important. From time to time some children require additional support to help meet their needs or improve their ability to access the curriculum in a way which suits their learning style. The decision to do this is made by the school and is based on a variety of factors including academic progress, and/or assessments carried out by teaching staff or other professionals. Children are put onto the SEN register if they are two or more sub-levels below the progress expected for their year group at any point in the year. Parents/Carers will be informed when this happens. Parents will be informed of their child’s progress at least three times a year when reviewing one-page profiles (IEPs).

Some children will require support for a longer period of time to ensure they can access the curriculum effectively and be included fully in classroom learning and school events. Support will be planned by school staff and where appropriate by external professionals. Parents/Carers will be kept informed about this support. This will be monitored by the SENCO who will regularly review the success of interventions. If the intervention has been successful, the child will have closed the gap from expected progress or will be close to catching up to their peers. If the intervention has not been successful, this will be stopped and a new intervention or support programme sought. It may also be appropriate at this point to seek advice from outside agencies. Our Local Offer describes the range of provision and support available to support identified children as and when appropriate.

The school uses its best endeavours to ensure that the provision for all its pupils is of the highest possible standard, whilst acknowledging that we are continually striving to improve our practice. We are committed to closing the attainment gap between children with SEN and their non-SEN peers. We are working to achieve this in a variety of different ways.

What Are the School’s Policies for Making Provision for Pupils with Special Educational Needs Whether or Not Pupils Have EHC Plans?

The SENCO will closely track the progress of all children with SEN. This is done every term by analysing school data. The SENCO will also track SEN progress through the Raise Online document. Intervention programmes will be tracked by producing entry and exit data. This can then be used to see if the intervention has been effective. The intervention programmes can be evaluated for pupils and a decision made as to the next step for the child made.

The progress of children on the SEN register will be shared with parents at least three times per year (once a term) through parent’s evenings and through sharing one-page profiles (IEPs). Parents will be made aware of how their child is progressing against smart targets and how they are working on specific interventions. We will endeavour to involve parents at all stages of SEN support and will listen to their views and suggestions. Parental input is extremely valuable to us.

The SENCO will have regular meetings with class teachers to discuss the progress of children in the class with SEN. Specific children will be discussed at planning meetings which occur twice a year if we feel we need further support and they meet the criteria for external help.

Wherever possible, our children with SEN are taught as part of the whole class where they can receive quality wave one teaching. Where it has been suggested by an external agency to teach outside of the classroom, our school will accommodate this. Interventions are taught as additional support to the curriculum. Other resources are used to support children’s learning such as visual timetables, wobble cushions for posture etc. These are provided with advice from specialist services. Every class in school has access to a teaching assistant during morning lessons. This enables the class teacher to direct support to children who have trouble accessing certain parts of the curriculum. Wherever possible, we try to avoid situations where a child becomes over-reliant on an adult. Therefore, on occasions, children who have statements will be encouraged to work independently.

We make all activities available to all children in school. These include extra curriculum activities and clubs.

We have a range of interventions in school which cater for our children’s needs and we continuously look for new initiatives which will help ensure our children make rapid progress. We have a number of staff who have been trained recently to effectively deliver the following interventions:

  • Catch up reading
  • Catch up maths
  • Reading recovery
  • It’s on the cards
  • Fit to learn
  • Max’s Marvellous maths
  • Speed up

We have programmes available to support the emotional and social needs of children. One of these programmes is called ‘Volcano in my Tummy.’ We also use social stories which are personalised for children as well as circle time games and SEAL work as part of our quality wave one teaching. Our learning mentor is also available to work one to one with children on any personal issues which may affect the child’s ability to learn at school. We also have support during lunchtime and playtime assistance through planned activities and groups as this can be time where children have social problems in school.

As well as training for interventions, all staff receive continuous training in changes to legislation as well as particular needs relating to our children such as Autism (ASD) support. Training needs are assessed according to the needs of our children.

Information About How Equipment and Facilities to Support Children and Young People with Special Educational Needs Will Be Secured.

Equipment for our children is bought with consultation from external agencies. On occasions, some equipment is lent to school on a short-term basis. All equipment is used with advice from specialist providers. Please see our auxiliary aids and equipment policy for more information.

As well as involving parents with the provision we provide for their child, we will endeavour to involve children in the process wherever necessary. This starts with talking to the child about what they can do well in school and what support they feel they need. This information can be found on the child’s one-page profile. We also include the child’s views when referring to other services and during annual reviews. Children are always invited to annual reviews to speak or share work with all attending. We will also get their views beforehand and share these with all present at the review.

What Are the Arrangements Made by the Governing Body or the School/LA Relating to the Treatment of Complaints from Parents of Pupils with Special Educational Needs Concerning the Provision Made at the School?

We have a clear complaints policy and procedure for parents who feel their child’s needs are not being fully met in school. In the first instance, the parent will be directed to the class teacher or SENCO. If they feel that needs still cannot be met then the class teacher or SENCO will arrange a meeting with the headteacher to try to resolve the matter. If this is unsuccessful, the headteacher will make available the contact details of the chair of governors and encourage the parent to write a letter detailing their complaint. As a school, we will endeavour to meet the needs of all our children with SEND with the help and support of parents.

How does the governing body involve other bodies, including health and social services bodies, local authority support services and voluntary organisations, in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and in supporting the families of such pupils?

The school has a designated SEN governor who liaises with the SENCO at several points throughout the year. The SENCO writes a report termly to the governing body which would detail the involvement of other bodies if necessary. The governing body would liaise with other agencies if this was recommended by the SENCO or headteacher.

What Are the Contact Details of Support Services for the Parents of Pupils with Special Educational Needs, Including Those for Arrangements Made in Accordance With Clause 32?

There are many services that can be called upon to support children in school coordinated by the SENCO. The school has an established network of support that includes professionals from the services listed below:

  • School learning mentor
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Communication and Interaction team
  • Behaviour support services
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • School Nurse
  • Health Visitor
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Social Care
  • Local Children’s Centre

Please also follow the link to ‘Connect to Support’. This is a website produced by Wakefield LA which will suggest services which families can access. These include therapy services and social care.

What Are the School’s Arrangements for Supporting Pupils with Special Educational Needs in Transferring Between Phases of Education or in Preparing for Adulthood and Independent Living?

During Year 5, parents of children with SEN are encouraged to begin to think of which school they would like their children to begin their secondary education. The SENCO will then arrange visits and meetings between the parent and secondary school so that the parent can begin to get a better idea of what secondary placement would be most suitable for their child. Any child who has a EHCP or statement has an early review in the first term of year 6. This allows the SENCO to invite prospective secondary SENCOs so they can participate in the meeting and suggest whether their school will be able to meet the needs of the child.

Transition for some children will also involve additional visits to the secondary school so that they feel more confident with the transfer to a new school. Meetings between our school SENCO and the new school will also take place so SEN records can be exchanged and targets shared.

When a transfer of phase is within school such as from FS2 to Y1, additional meetings will take place between class teachers. The child will also be given additional trips to the new classroom to experience the new environment and meet the class teacher frequently. A meeting between the class teachers and parent is also encouraged.

Where Is the Information About the LA’s Local Offer Published?

Information about the Local Offer can be found by following the link from our school website. This is in the SEND local offer section of the website.